A Proud Heritage
It has been 88 years since Dundas Valley was established by a group of local business men. In late winter of 1929, they purchased the 144.5 acre Woodley farm for a $100 option.
One of the original founders. J. L. Grightmire, was known to have said, “the course was built for the working man with fees to be kept as reasonable as possible”. Times have changed since that year when proposed annual dues were $40 for men and $20 for ladies. Sales were brisk.
Things went well for the group and membership. It was ‘anticipated that the course would be ready for play by Empire Day, May 24, 1930′ – July, 1930 was when the course was officially opened.
In 1936 the first permanent Clubhouse was built, one of the finest in its time. Built on the same elevation as the Club today, offering one of the most breathtaking views in this part of the province.
The Clubhouse opened July 1, 1937. The Silver Anniversary of the Club was celebrated in 1954 by 600 members. The Dundas Club, known throughout Hamilton as the “friendly club” was very community minded and did much to further the game of golf in this area.
The apparent foresight and inspiration made the Dundas Club a leader in many ways, as in 1955 the first curling club in Canada to be combined with a golf club was opened at Dundas. The curling club was in operation for four years before the name was officially changed in 1959 to the Dundas Valley Golf & Curling Club.
Fate dealt the Dundas Golf Club a crippling blow in the early morning of Saturday, December 8, 1962, when a fire destroyed the Clubhouse and gutted the lounge in the curling section. All they saw was the skeleton of the Clubhouse, the first built in 1936.
The phrase etched on the mantel of the giant fireplace in the old Clubhouse was more prophetic than people could have realized: “Doubt Vanishes with Smoke and Hope Begins with Flame”.
In 2012, the Clubhouse under went a massive renovation and now features modern ammenities, full accessibility and 270 degree views of the Niagara escarpment.
It is interesting to note that the greater area has many Thompson courses – Chedoke, Burlington, Cutten Club, St. Catharine’s, Westmount, Brantford, Galt and Whirlpool.
The Club is in its 88th year and can be proud of its accomplishments and heritage.
Vision, Mission & Values
A private club, well positioned for long-term success because we exceed expecations and take pride in the condition of our golf, curling, and clubhouse facilities.
Dedicated to delivering unparalled experiences and amenities that our employees are proud of, members and guests value, and recommend to their family and friends.
- Member, guest, and employee satisfaction is critical to our success
- Inclusive, friendly, safe, and healthy social environment
- Excellence in our offerings
- Promote and grow golf and curling
- Responsible financial management
- Good corporate and community citizen
- Environmental excellence
Since its inception in 1929, the Club has made, and will continue to make, a commitment to excellence in its programs and services, to constantly strive to be one of the top Clubs in our area and to dedicate its resources to the achievement of this mission.