page contents

Golf

 

 

 

 

 

 

Stanley Thompson Designed Golf Course

 

Stanley Thompson himself summarizes his design philosophy by saying, “The most successful course is one that will test the skill of the most advanced golfer without discouraging the duffer while adding to the enjoyment of both.”

Proud Members of the Stanley Thompson Society

We take great honour in preserving the memory of Stanley Thompson and his great contribution to Canadian Golf.  At Dundas Valley Golf & Curling Club we are happy to say we have the highest concentration of Historical Society members in any club in Canada.

Our History

A Proud Heritage

Dundas Valley was established by a group of local business men. In late winter of 1929 they purchased the 144.5 acre Woodley farm for a $100 option.

One of the original founders J. L. Grightmire, was known to have said, “the course was built for the working man with fees to be kept as reasonable as  possible.” Times have changed since that year when proposed annual dues were $40 for men and $20 for ladies.  Sales were brisk.

Things went well for the group and membership. It was ‘anticipated that the course would be ready for play by Empire Day, May 24, 1930′ – July, 1930 was when the course was officially opened.

In 1936 the first permanent Clubhouse was built, one of the finest in its time. Built on the same elevation as the Club today, offering one of the most breathtaking views in this part of the province.

The Clubhouse opened July 1, 1937. The Silver Anniversary of the Club was celebrated in 1954 by 600 members. The Dundas Club, known throughout Hamilton as the “friendly club” was very community minded and did much to further the game of golf in this area.

The apparent foresight and inspiration made the Dundas Club a leader in many ways, as in 1955 the first curling club in Canada to be combined with a golf club was opened at Dundas. The curling club was in operation for four years before the name was officially changed in 1959 to the Dundas Valley Golf & Curling Club.

Fate dealt the Dundas Golf Club a crippling blow in the early morning of Saturday, December 8, 1962, when a fire destroyed the Clubhouse and gutted the lounge in the curling section. All they saw was the skeleton of the Clubhouse, the first built in 1936.

The phrase etched on the mantel of the giant fireplace in the old Clubhouse was more prophetic than people could have realized: “Doubt Vanishes with Smoke and Hope Begins with Flame”.

In 2012, the Clubhouse under went a massive renovation and now features modern ammenities, full accessibility and 270 degree views of the Niagara escarpment.

.

New Members always welcome

Looking for a friendly, open and inclusive club atmosphere?  Where our members are our greatest asset!

Click the button for a warm welcome.

What’s going on at Dundas Valley?

In the Valley Line, we publish news articles on a wide range of topics including Community News, golf course updates, curling leagues, upcoming events, and so much more!

Superintendent’s Report – May 21, 2020

We are now one week into the golfing season and despite an unseasonably cool stretch of weather and one heavy rain event the golf course is in fine shape and holding up to the barrage of wear and tear that comes from being a busy golf course. Thank you to the...

Chef Ron’s Pudding Chomeur

Hello everyone! Chef Ron here, time to share another recipe with you.  In honor of Maple season, I’ve decided to make “Pouding Chomeur” otherwise known as poor mans pudding.  This is a traditional French Canadian dessert going back to the depression days.  It is meant...

World Handicap System – What you need to know

There's a new handicap system in town. The idea for a new, unified system was conceived by the USGA and The R&A and developed following an extensive review of systems administered by six existing handicapping authorities – Golf Australia, the Council of National...